Monday, February 22, 2010

Snowflakes

With the description in Han Ying's written wor...One day last week, while hustling my five-year-old daughter out of the SUV and into a store while running yet another errand, I grew frustrated with her dallying.
Her response to my irritation?  "Sorry, Mom... I keep getting distracted by the snowflakes!"

Her sweet little words stopped me in my tracks. 

Having been in "go-go-go" mode for weeks with assorted projects and events, my mind was not on snowflakes.  It was focused on "Important Grown-up Issues"... which, as I've come to realize in my years as a mother, are really not so important.  At least not when you have a five-year-old who sees the world through different eyes.

I looked around, and sure enough, the snowflakes were distracting.  Though the sun was shining, snowflakes still floated from Heaven... each one delicate, exquisite, unique. 

The thing about snowflakes, however, is that it is so easy to miss their one-of-a-kind beauty.  It takes time to stop, look at them, and appreciate their individuality and intricacy...

just as with people.

I am so thankful to have a daughter who gets distracted by snowflakes.











Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: